Hoarding can be very costly and dangerous.
A few months ago SERVPRO of SW Portland got a call from a customer that had a water leak in their basement. When we got there they didn't know how long the leak had been going or where it came from. After clearing out a path to get around the basement, we found the source was a water heater that failed. The entire basement was damaged, bedroom carpet, walls and most of the contents in it. We started removing damaged items, which was hampered because of the intense amount of hoarding. Many of the homeowner's items had to be thrown out due to damage or mold, causing a large loss of personal property to the owner. SERVPRO of SW Portland boxed up over 400 boxes of belongings so the basement could be dried out and restored. When the basement was finished all of her belongings were taken back, all in boxes and labeled so she can find things she might be looking for.
Please call us at 503-777-9739