Red Cross Blood Drive
- Work with your Red Cross representative throughout the process; we’re here to offer advice and answer questions.
- Set the date well in advance, avoiding scheduling conflicts with other major events in your organization.
- Select a location, preferably a large open room (cafeteria, school gym, large conference room) with space to ensure donor interviews are conducted in a private and confidential manner.
- Recruit volunteers to help you sign up donors and to help the day of the drive go smoothly.
- Recruit donors with the help of your volunteers: recruiting is most effective when done face-to-face, and you can reach more people by spreading the effort among your team than doing it alone.
- Sign up donors, using the Red Cross online scheduling system – this will help you keep track of your signups and offer donor reminders and thank you email templates.
- Advertise the drive through newsletters, bulletin boards, hallways and elevators, your organization’s intranet, social media pages, and via email.
- Engage community partners to supply donor incentives, thank you gifts and treats such as extra cookies or pizzas for your donors and volunteers. (Discuss these in advance with your Red Cross rep!).
- Follow our Coordinator Checklists for key steps to complete 12 weeks out, 2 weeks out, the week before and the day before the drive.